As a follow-up to my last post, I’m now happy to report that Plaything of Sutekh #4 is now available, after what seems like an eternity since the last issue. 🙂
As the details on the Plaything of Sutekh blog state, the new issue features articles on:-
- Pacifism in Doctor Who – a look at how The Daleks and The Dominators gave turning the other cheek the thumbs down.
- The Ark vs The Ark in Space – David Rolinson looks at the similarities between these two stories.
- RTD & Religion – Sean Alexander examines a key aspect of the series under Russell T’s tenure.
- E-Space – Jez Strickley spies a dystopian slant in this Season 18 trilogy.
- Secret Who – we look at two underrated stories The Claws of Axos and The Time Monster
- Changing Times – a look back at Peter Capaldi’s first season.
- Doc Top Ten – one writer looks at his favourite Who comic strips.
- Gateway Drug – Stephen Wood confesses how it all started with him and Who…
For those who aren’t familiar with it, Plaything of Sutekh is a professionally produced, traditional A5 print Doctor Who fanzine – yes, a real paper zine, not an electronic download, a website or a blog. It is brought to you by Richard Farrell, John Connors and their Merry crew – Richard also edits the very excellent Gerry Anderson fanzine Andersonic. Both zines are among the best fanzines currently available, especially considering that the traditional print fanzine is an endangered species in the increasingly electronic and online modern era.
Issue 4 is 36 pages, fully illustrated with colour covers and black & white interiors. It only costs a mere £2.20, which also includes free postage within the UK (check the blog for postage outside the UK).
To find out more details or order the zine, either go to the Plaything of Sutekh blog, or simply send a Paypal payment directly to email@example.com – with your address in the ‘notes’ section. You can also pay by cheque, please email for the payee details.
Issue 3 is also still in print. All self-respecting Doctor Who fans should run along sharpish to the Plaything of Sutekh blog and buy these two issues before they’re sold out.