[T]he best recent news on the fanzine front is that Richard Farrell and the gang have just released Andersonic #18 onto \”the streets\”, and just in time too, as I was in dire need of something good to read.
For those unfortunates who aren\’t \”in the know\”, Andersonic is THE best (as well as my own absolute favourite) Gerry Anderson-based fanzine, covering all the various Gerry Anderson shows, both the various live series and the classic puppet shows, as well as the excellent CGI animated New Captain Scarlet series.
Oh yeah, and did I mention that Andersonic is a real, honest-to-goodness A5 printed zine, not an electronic publication. Real \”paper\” zines are as rare as hen\’s teeth these days, so this is a big, big plus, as far as I\’m concerned, as I\’ve always loved real zines, the ones you can actually hold in your hand and turn the pages. I LOVE real, paper fanzines.
Here are the contents of Issue 18, according to the Andersonic website:
- David Elliott interview – a new interview with APF\’s editor and director in which he discusses his work on the APF series.
- Alan Perry interview – Alan talks of his time working at APF/Century 21 on series such as Stingray and Thunderbirds and directing Captain Scarlet and the live-action UFO, working with puppets, actors and chihuahuas.
- Thunderbirds – Is it Invisible TV? A look at why the Andersons\’ series are often overlooked by the more academic articles about television.
- UFO/ Computer Affair – Someone\’s in lurve but Ed Straker needs a computer to see it. We look at an underrated episode…
- Joe 90/ Most Special Agent – two writers discuss this series opener. One of them likes it… the other one\’s not so sure.
- How do you watch your fave series? – Our writers reveal their little rituals when watching a bit of Anderson telly.
- Strip Story – we look at an individual comic strip to see what makes it tick. This issue – Countdown\’s Stingray story \’Model Mission\’ drawn by Brian Lewis.
- …plus Alpha Log reports, 2014\’s event reviews and The Overseers of Psychon. New art by Nigel Parkinson and cover image by Martin Bower.
My copy of Andersonic #18 arrived several days ago, and just as soon as I can get one of those rare quiet evenings to myself, I have lots and lots of great reading to look forward to. At only £2.70 (British Pounds Sterling), inclusive of postage (within the UK – check the website for postage elsewhere), for 44 pages of wholesome Anderson goodness, you can\’t even buy a pint of beer down the pub for that. All fans of Gerry Anderson AND of fanzines should get their booties posthaste over to the Andersonic website and order themselves a copy of this delicious little zine.